Appreciation and Acknowledgment by Chairman PEC for HEIs towards attainment of signatory status of Washington Accord (WA)
- • By the grace of Allah Almighty, Pakistan has become full signatory of WA- a highest prestigious global standard on engineering education and accreditation system which grants substantial equivalence of engineering degrees among signatory countries.
- • It is with pleasure to acknowledge my heartfelt appreciations towards the dedicated efforts and hard work done by the leading HEIs through their leadership and experienced faculty, PEVs , PEC team of EAD department to achieve this ‘landmark’ of global recognition for Pakistan.
- • Historically, the Council has initiated this major task in 2009 as an Observer, and become Provisional Signatory of WA in 2010 after sorting the immediate improvements wherever required in accreditation process. Officially, IES-Singapore and BEM- Malaysia were nominated as Mentors to Pakistan for the necessary guidance and to prepare for the full signatory status. The WA-Taskforce was constituted in PEC by Convener EAB/EA&QEC to develop roadmap in-line with the gap analysis study under the guidance of Mentors and international practices. The real focus to the task was given in 2013 after introducing the Exemplar of Graduate Attributes (GAs) as a policy document by WA to adapt by all jurisdictions seeking signatory status. Accordingly, PEC Taskforce revised Accreditation Manual in-line with OBA/GAs guidelines in 2013 which was approved by EAB/EA&QEC and subsequently by PEC Governing Body in its 17th meeting in 2014 as an official comprehensive document for all HEIs. PEC continued its parallel efforts to start series of trainings/workshops for HEIs (to train their faculty) and Program Evaluators (PEVs) in all regions of the country. Mentors contributed in all such activities of PEC and HEIs, especially those who took this task as challenge to adopt/shift immediately for their program evaluation in-line with OBA guidelines of Accreditation.
- • Finally, WA-designated Team of Reviewers from three signatories (New Zealand, United Kingdom & South Korea) visited Pakistan in higher security arrangement by GoP, and observed PEC accreditation process at the satisfactory level of compliance and implementation of set standards & criteria. Following are the four leading HEIs who prepared their programs in-line with OBA guidelines for PEC assessment (under PEC Manual 2014, Level-II) before WA Reviewers and completed their evaluation successfully:
• Other HEIs in Pakistan who have also adopted Outcome Based Education system to get their engineering programs accredited under OBA (Level-II) are as follows:
- Institute of Space Technology(IST), Islamabad
- Ghulam Ishaq Khan Institute (GIKI) of Engineering Sciences and Technology, Swabi
- Capital University of Science & Technology (CUST), Islamabad
- National University of Science & Technology(NUST), Islamabad
• I would like to take this opportunity to express my sincere appreciations and acknowledge the dedicated efforts put-forth by the Head of Institutions/ the Vice Chancellors and the hard work demonstrated by their faculty for adopting this paradigm shift of OBE in their teaching-learning and assessment system successfully. PEC is looking forward for your continued support and contribution in all future initiatives to elevate and maintain international relevant educational and professional competence standards- working together for the betterment of engineering profession.
- University of Engineering and Technology (UET), Lahore
- National Textile University (NTU), Faisalabad
- Center for Advanced Studies in Engineering (CASE), Islamabad (UET Taxila)
- Lahore University of Management Sciences (LUMS), Lahore
- NED University of Engineering and Technology, Karachi
- Heavy Industries Taxila Education City (HITEC) University, Taxila
- College of Aeronautical Engineering (CAE), NUST Risalpur
- Pakistan Navy Engineering College, Karachi- (NUST, Islamabad)
- College of Electrical and Mechanical Engineering, Rawalpindi (NUST, Islamabad)
- Military College of Engineering, Risalpur (NUST Islamabad)
- NUST-School of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, Islamabad.
With best regards,
(Engr. Jawed Salim Qureshi)
Pakistan Engineering Council